Choco Malt with Nutrition Supplement Drink
6th August 2018, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
What is Oral Nutritional Supplement?
Oral nutritional supplement (your dietitian may call it ‘ONS’) is a formulated beverage which can provide adequate energy, protein, vitamin and mineral when you use it correctly. Oral nutritional supplement is always recommended by your dietitian or doctor when you are not able to consume enough food to meet your energy and protein needs during cancer treatment.
Cancer patients who are undergoing treatment, need more proteins to heal tissues and to reduce the risk of infection. Cancer patients are also advised to maintain their body weight and keep their energy intake high.
Oral nutritional supplement, i.e. Ensure Gold, Nutren Optimum will help you to get in good amount of energy & protein.
For those who tend to shy away from taking oral nutritional supplement because of the taste, you might want to try out this recipe,
Ingredients (make 1 serving)
- 6 scoops of oral nutritional supplement powder (recommended vanilla flavour)
- 200ml distilled water (under room temperature)
- 1 scoop of chocolate ice cream
- 1 teaspoon of Horlicks™ powder
- Blend all the ingredients until it is smooth.
- Pour into a glass & serve immediately.