Honey Oat Porridge with Oral Nutritional Supplement
23rd August 2018, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
There may be times when it is difficult for you to eat the right amount of food for your body’s needs.
Oral nutritional supplement is a formulated beverage that have been specially designed for people who are having difficulties maintaining their weight or eating enough food. Oral nutrition supplement can provide adequate energy, protein, vitamin and mineral to your body when you are not eating well.
Oral nutrition supplement can be enjoyed on their own, but can also be added to your favourite recipes. This will prevent boredom and help you take the adequate amount of oral nutrition supplement you need.
Ingredients (for 1 serving)
- 40g or 6 tablespoon instant oats
- 60ml full cream milk
- 6 scoop oral nutritional supplement powder (vanilla flavour), mixed well with 200ml water (under room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 banana (or any fruit you like)
- cinnamon powder (optional)
- Place oats and milk in a medium-sized saucepan. Heat gently for 1 minute, stirring constantly to make a thick paste.
- Stir in oral nutrition supplement and remove from heat immediately. Be careful not to overcook and destroy the nutrients in the oral nutrition supplement.
- Place oat in a bowl, add in honey and banana and top with a sprinkling of cinnamon powder.