Cinnamon Coffee with Oral Nutritional Supplement
13th September 2018, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
Oral nutritional supplements are a formulated beverages that have been specially designed for people who are having difficulties maintaining their weight or eating enough food. Oral nutrition supplements can provide adequate energy, protein, vitamin and mineral to your body when you are not eating well.
Oral nutrition supplements can be used to complement your diet, sometimes replace your meals and can be served as snacks. Your Dietitian will determine how long and how much you should take oral nutritional supplements for. In most cases, you only need them while you are having difficulties with eating a normal diet or until you have reached a healthy weight.
Oral nutrition supplement can be enjoyed on their own, but can also be added to your favourite recipes. This will prevent boredom and help you take the adequate amount of oral nutrition supplements you need.
Most oral nutritional supplements taste better chilled, some can be warmed gently, and some can be added to foods or frozen, and served as a dessert.
For example, oral nutritional supplements can be used to replace milk or creamer in your coffee:
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 180ml hot water, just off the boil
- 2 scoops oral nutritional supplement powder (vanilla flavour), mixed well with 75ml water (under room temperature)
- Table sugar (optional)
- Add coffee grounds to the coffee press.
- Add the broken cinnamon sticks. Pour in hot water, making sure to saturate all the grounds and cinnamon pieces.
- Place the plunger on the press without pushing it down. Brew for 4 minutes.
- Gently push down the plunger until it reaches the bottom of the press.
- Pour coffee into a cup and stir in oral nutritional supplement.
Option: You can use instant coffee and cinnamon powder if you do not have a coffee press.