Mashed Potatoes with Oral Nutritional Supplement
29th September 2018, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
Mashed potatoes can be added with oral nutritional supplement too?
Yes. Oral nutritional supplements can be used to replace milk or creamer in your recipe.
Oral nutritional supplement can help you to increase your calorie and protein intake. Calories in food are what give your body energy. Eating enough calories to maintain your weight is important. Getting enough calories means your body can save the protein you eat for healing instead of having to convert it to energy. Protein is known as the ‘building block’ of the body, helping it to rebuild, repair and maintain strength.
Oral nutritional supplements are a formulated beverages that have been specially designed for people who are having difficulties maintaining their weight or eating enough food. Oral nutrition supplements can provide adequate energy, protein, vitamin and mineral to your body when you are not eating well.
There are different types of oral nutritional supplements available. These include:
- Powdered form
i.e. Ensure® Gold, Nutren® Optimum, Enercal® Plus, Enprovis® Plus, Appeton® Wellnes Recovery, Prosure®, Peptamen®
- Ready-made liquid form
i.e. Isosource®, Supportan®
- Juice-style liquid form
Recipe: Mash Potatoes with Oral Nutritional Supplement
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 300g potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
- 10g butter, softened
- 2 scoops oral nutritional supplement powder (vanilla flavour), mixed well with 75 ml water (under room temperature)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, and then drain.
- Place cooked mash potatoes into a bowl. Add butter and milk (oral nutritional supplements). Mash until smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.