Cream of Cauliflower Soup
with Oral Nutritional Supplement
19th December 2018, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
Food is often one of the most enjoyable parts of Christmas, however severe nausea, loss of appetite, destruction of taste buds can make cancer patients want to avoid eating at all costs. Cancer treatment such as chemotherapy comes with an array of side effects, which may turn eating into an unpleasant experience.
Cancer patients who are undergoing treatment, need more proteins to recover rapidly from the side effects of treatments and to reduce the risk of infection. Cancer patients are also advised to maintain their body weight and keep their energy intake high. Oral nutritional supplements are always recommended by doctors and dietitians when cancer patients cannot consume enough food to meet their energy and protein needs.
Oral nutritional supplements can be used in cooking your festive meals, regardless you’re celebrating Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year’s. There are so many delicious Christmas soups that you can make as an appetizer or starter for your Christmas dinner.
Here is an example of cream soup:
Cream of Cauliflower Soup (serves 4-6)
1 medium cauliflower
1 medium potato
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 scoop of oral nutritional supplement (powder), diluted with 500 ml water
250 ml cooking cream
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Break or cut the cauliflower into small florets.
- Peel the potato and cut into small dices.
- Pre-cook potatoes and cauliflowers in hot boiling water, set aside
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan and add in the spices. Gently stir-fry them until their full flavour is released.
- Add potatoes and cauliflowers, stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the cream and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until all vegetables are very tender.
- Lastly, stir in oral nutritional supplement and immediately remove the soup from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into small bowl, and scatter a few croutons on top. Serve.