Potato & Egg Scramble
16th October 2019, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
Potato is a great alternative to white rice, especially when patients are getting bored with white rice. Cancer patients may experience taste loss during their chemotherapy. If a routine food tastes bland, try new food or new combination, try foods with different textures, colours and temperatures.
According to USDA’s Nutrient Database, one large potato (approximately 369g) contain 255kcal of energy, 6.2g of protein and 58g of carbohydrate. Apparently, potato is not only a good source of carbohydrates, but also supplies ample amounts of protein.
When you pair potatoes with eggs in cooking, you are actually preparing a dish with combination of plant and animal protein, simultaneously with good amounts of carbohydrate.
Consuming high-protein foods is very important for cancer patients because it can help to heal tissues, prevent muscle loss, and reduce the risk of infection. Cancer patients are also advised to maintain their body weight and keep their energy intake high. Carbohydrates should be the primary source of energy in our diet.
Fats are essential to provide energy and fat-soluble vitamins, to support cell growth, and help to protect organs. Cooking oil is the most prominent source of dietary fats. Stir-frying is a good way to add fats into your diet and turn your food into a high energy meal.
- 4 eggs, size AA
- 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 3 medium potatoes, washed, skinned and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Pre-cook the potatoes in boiling water until they are softened (especially for patients with chewing difficulty).
- Combine eggs and light soy sauce in a bowl, beat well.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan, fry the onions until there are light brown and fragrant.
- Add the boiled potatoes, sprinkle with pinch of salt and grounded black pepper, and quickly stir-fry the potatoes until slightly sautéed.
- Pour beaten eggs over the potatoes and stir-fry until the eggs are formed and nicely cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice, porridge or eat as a snack on its own.