Chicken Soup with Tofu,
Egg Drop & Spinach
31st October 2019, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
I like cooking, but there are times when I am simply not in the mood to cook.
When I just don’t feel like to cook, I always think of simple and easy recipes that I can put everything together without all the fuss.
Soup is what I like to do. I just need to toss few ingredients and stock into a pot and letting them simmer. I will get a full meal (with all macronutrients – carbohydrate, protein, fat and vegetable) in a pot.
This version of chicken soup is made from chicken thigh which is more tender and juicy compare to chicken breast. Removing the chicken’s skin will give you a less oily broth.
Chicken, egg and tofu will provide you a boosted amount of protein.
Carbohydrates come from potato, carrot, and onion. You may serve the soup with rice if you need more carbohydrates.
Small amount of fats will be extracted from the chicken onto the soup. Fats will give you the taste and energy. Adding sesame oil is optional.
Recipe: Chicken Soup with Tofu,
Egg Drop & Spinach
- 1 full chicken leg (thigh and drumstick, cut into 2 if you like), removed skin
- 1 – 2 medium size potatoes, skinned and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium size carrot, skinned and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 celery stalk, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ medium size onion, cut into 1 inch wedges
- ½ block of firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 eggs (size B), beaten
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 handful of spinach (1 cup), washed and drained well
- Dashes of salt
- Dashes of pepper
- In a large sauce pan, add in the chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, salt, pepper and water. Make sure there is enough water to submerge the chicken.
- Cover the sauce pan, with the lid slightly open. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Simmer until the vegetables start to soften and the chicken is completely cooked through. It will take about 30 minutes.
- Add in the tofu and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Pour in the beaten egg in a slow steady stream while stirring. Stir for about 1 more minute.
- Add in the spinach and sesame oil.
- Turn off the heat and serve immediately.