13th November 2019, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
Wonder how a savoury omelette can go with sweet fruits?
You always can try something different, especially when you have no appetite to your routine food. Cancer patients may experience taste loss or taste change during their chemotherapy. If a routine food tastes bland, try new food or new combination.
I love to share egg-based recipes that are high in protein, tasty and easy to prepare. Try this simple recipe of Fruits Omelette which can be ready within 30 minutes!
Make sure you use a correct size of pan. A too-small pan will cause your omelette to be very thick, which will make it hard to fold and hold the fruits. A too-large pan will produce a too thin omelette which cooks rapidly and sticks to the pan. Thin omelette is easy to break when you want to wrap the fruits.
You can separate the eggs whites from the yolks and whisk the whites until soft peaks, then gently folding in the beaten yolks, this will help you to create a fluffy omelette.
You can try to use different kind of fruits!
Recipe: Fruits Omelette
- 2 eggs, size AA
- 1 teaspoon, sugar
- 2 tablespoon, plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon, butter
- 1 banana, cut into small pieces
- 25g, raspberries or strawberries, cut into halves
- ½ apple, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon, honey
- Separate the egg whites and yolks into two bowls.
- Beat the eggs whites to firm peaks.
- Beat the yolks together with the yogurt and sugar.
- Pour the beaten yolks into the whites and fold through gently until all combined.
- Put the butter into a non-stick pan (suggest 30-cm pan) and heat over medium heat.
- When hot, add the egg mixture into the pan, gently
- Cook the egg mixture until the base is cooked and browned, it will take about 2 minutes.
- Place the pan under the oven’s grill and cook the omelette until the top is set and firm, it will take approximately 1 minute.
- Remove from the grill and tip the omelette out onto the serving plate.
- Spoon the fruits onto one half of the omelette, then drizzle on the honey.
- Flip the omelette over the fruits and serve immediately.