Air Fryer French Toast
27th November 2019, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
Air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around the food using convection method. The mechanical fan in air fryer circulates hot air around the food at high speed, cooking the food and producing a crispy layer via browning reactions without using of oil.
French toast is a dish made of sliced bread soaked in eggs and milk, then fried. French toast can be served with sweet toppings such as jam, honey, or maple syrup.
French toast is loaded with energy and protein. Cancer patients are always advised to take high energy and high protein foods in order to maintain their body weight and prevent muscle loss.
Egg is the main protein provider in French toast. Consuming high protein food such as egg is very important for cancer patients because it can help to heal tissues and to recover from side effects of treatment.
French toast is made with bread and added with sweet topping which is regarded as a great source of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates may have bad reputation among health enthusiasts or weight loss warriors but is crucial to provide energy to the body, especially for cancer patient who has minimal food intake due to loss of appetite.
Cancer patients may experience taste loss or taste change during their chemotherapy. If a routine food tastes bland, try to add sweetness to the food!
You can pan-fry to make French toast if you don’t have an air fryer.
Recipe: Air Fryer French Toast
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 eggs, size AA
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 150 ml of full cream milk
*You can use oral nutritional supplement with vanilla taste to replace both vanilla extract and full cream milk*
- In a bowl mix together the eggs, milk, cinnamon powder and vanilla extract.
- Beat until the eggs are broken up and everything is mixed well.
- Soak each piece of bread into the mixture and then shake to get the excess off, as you do, put it into the air fryer.
- Air-fry for 3 minutes at 160° Then flip and do another 3 minutes under same temperature.
- Remove the bread from air fryer and place onto a plate.
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!