Spaghetti with Herbs, Chilies & Eggs
8th January 2020, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
I love to add eggs on top of the food I cooked even though the original recipe has not mentioned to serve with eggs.
You can add an extra dose of protein to your routine food by serving eggs over top. Scrambled, hard-boiled, poached, or sunny-side up, there are so many ways to enjoy eggs.
Eggs are well-known for their high-quality protein, which boast a complete amino acid profile. Consuming high-quality protein foods is particularly important for cancer patients because it can help to reduce the rate of protein breakdown, prevent muscle loss, maintain essential body functions, heal tissues and reduce the risk of infection.
Holiday season is always a favorite time of the year, with gatherings, vocations and of course, delicious meals. If you’re currently going through cancer treatment, celebrating might not be the first thing on your mind. However, you may not need to refrain yourself from enjoying the foods.
The variety of pasta dishes is an example of festive foods. Pasta can be as simple as spaghetti aglio e olio.
Try this simple recipe of Spaghetti with Herbs, Chilies, and Eggs which can be ready within 30 minutes!
Recipe: Spaghetti with Herbs, Chilies & Eggs
- 300g or 3/4 box spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley + basil)
- 4 large eggs, size AA
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese Parmesan
- In a pot, cook the spaghetti according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot.
- In a small saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the garlic and red chili pepper, until the garlic begins to sizzle, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chillies to the spaghetti in the pot, along with the herbs, and toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat, cook the eggs into 4 sunny side-ups.
- Serve the spaghetti on individual plate, sprinkle with shredded Parmesan and top with sunny side-up.
- Drizzle with more olive oil and shredded Parmesan, if desired.