Leftover Bread? Fry It!
16th June 2020, Dietitian Marcus Lee, Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital
Are you throwing away your leftover bread at home? There are many ways to use up leftover bread before it goes stale.
Bread is a staple food in many countries and typically made from a dough made of flour and water. Bread is a good source of carbohydrates. In moderation, bread can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet.
Cancer patients are advised to maintain their body weight and keep their energy intake high. Energy is provided by carbohydrates and fats from your foods. When fighting cancer, your body needs more energy and protein to recover rapidly from the side effects of treatments.
Fats are also a good source of energy for cancer patients. Fats are essential to provide fat-soluble vitamins, to support cell growth, and help to protect organs. Stir-frying is a good way to add fats into your diet and turn your food into a high energy meal.
Don’t let your leftover bread go to waste, try this recipe to turn your leftover bread into energy and protein-dense meal!
Recipe: Fried Bread with Chicken & Eggs
- 6 slices of white bread (cut into small cubes)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 50g of chicken meat (diced)
- 80g of cauliflower or broccoli (cut into small florets)
- 50g of French beans or long beans (cut into small pieces 0.5cm)
- 3 eggs, size AA (beaten with ¼ teaspoon of salt)
- 2 teaspoons, butter
- 1 stalk, coriander leaves (chopped) – you can opt this out if you don’t like the smell!
- Salt, to taste
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Add in onion and garlic, then stir fry until fragrant.
- Add in chicken meat and stir fry until ¾ cooked.
- Add in French beans, cauliflower, and half of the coriander leaves. Stir for a while.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and stir fry until the vegetables are cooked.
- Pour in the beaten eggs over the ingredients in the pan, stir fry everything together until the eggs are almost cooked (still moist).
- Add in bread while the egg mixture is still moist, and sprinkle with the remaining coriander leaves.
- Stir fry until the bread has absorbed all the moisture.
- Remove from heat and serve.